Thursday, January 24, 2008

The first step must be taken

A blank canvas, a blank sheet of paper, can all be very intimidating. Some people have the wrong idea. They feel, everything comes easy for one who has been doing it a long time.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Sometimes all of that knowledge leads one to the crossroads of making a decision from many different perspectives. Not paralyzed by fear of making a mistake, but paralyzed by the fear of not making the right choice in technique or composition.

Planning and preparation are good.........and prayer helps too!

Claude Buck use to have a brilliant art student who couldn't decide how to place her items in a composition. She was stymied by fear. Finally Claude hit upon a solution. He would have her use her objects and place them in the composition of some famous artist. This solution gave her great confidence and much success.

Learn from others. Study great art. And be willing to try!

4 Comments:

At January 25, 2008 at 10:31 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I too, for two decades thought that others could paint, but not me! After watching various art instruction programs during all those years, Buck Paulson and others finally gave me the encouragement to pick up my first blank canvas and now I can't stop painting! I can't wait to finish one painting to start another one and my friends tell me that I get better with each one! Buck and his show have truly been a blessing to me and I am so grateful for his wonderful program and teaching technique! He makes it look so easy - and you know what? IT IS! You can't make mistakes, which is what I so much feared! You make a mistake - you paint right over it and keep on going! I have found that at times, my mistakes turn out better than what I had originally planned on painting! God bless you Buck for your show and wonderful lessons - both in art and life! YOUR FAN! Linda Persson, Tulsa, OK

 
At February 9, 2008 at 7:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean when you say the blank page is intimidating. As a writer I face this problem often enough. But if you never tried, it wouldn't get done. Even after writing a book and several hundred poems and stories I am still worried my thought won't come out as I want them to. I love to paint with Buck he makes you feel like you can do it and shows you that you can. His classes are fun and my painting is always a masterpiece. Thanks for the lessons Buck you make us all believe we can achieve,and so we do. See you again soon at Silver Falls. Sandie Kae

 
At February 15, 2008 at 9:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watch you paint on P.B.S. and it inspires me to continue. I like the way you use the bold bright colors. I paint similarly. Keep Arting! Jeff (weseye) Wesley

 
At April 17, 2008 at 10:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

quick question on preparing a canvas....several of buck's instructional books on painting (alexander art books) first prepare a canvas by applying an acrylic coat. He uses a slate blue or foam green coat. Does anyone have any insight into the exact mixture to get these?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home