Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Color Magic


The question was asked by an astute writer, "How do you come up with all of the wonderful color mixtures in your paintings?

Let me say first; I found in my reading....that we all have rods and cones in our eyes. We each have the same number of rods.......that path through which we see light and dark. But cones, come in various amounts to each recipiant....Cones enable us to see colors. So having varying amounts of cones, accounts a bit for the different tastes that we have in color.

But, let me give you my progression: Years of study, reading, and experimenting have brought some expertise, yes, but, let me give you a bird's eye view of some recent learning:

At the week's end, I usually scrape the palette clean. One time, pushing the knife through some colors, I was fascinated by the exciting mixes achieved. I decided to take these mixtures and push them onto a small 9"x12" canvas. Letting imagination soar, I created skies, land , trees, rocks, etc. I initally entitled these paintings, 'AFTA," meaning "After." The more that I created them, the better I liked the spontaneity. Now, I found that I couldn't wait until the end of the week. I was on my way with the new world of Pochade Magic. I found that I could look at a scene, and use the "afta" method to render it.

My last two televison series on PBS have been to show how to make a finished painting from the small Pochades. (Series #600 is currently on.......and available for $30, series #700 will be released in the Spring. Both series have a couple of bonus features on the two DVD set. It shows me concocting a Pochade.........................

Has that been some help?

2 Comments:

At February 6, 2008 at 10:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, that explains it pretty good!

And by doing your paintings I am using colors that I never heard of and it's exciting to see them leave the palette and hit the canvas! Speaking of palette, would you please give me the number of the palette knife you use? I do remember you saying it was a trough type.

Thanks,
Roger

 
At February 7, 2008 at 7:04 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

And it is fun to paint this way too!

wonderful wonderful paintings, thanks Buck for coming to WA state to teach!
Barb
www.paintwithbarb.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home